Often it is required to migrate Mingle to new servers. In such a case, there are 2 approaches. Both have been described via the KB article : http://support.thoughtworks.com/entries/20413413-Migrating-Mingle-to-a-new-server. Through this article we will be explaining more about the 2nd option which involves taking the database backup and restoring it on the new server. For our example, lets call the current server 'Server A' and the new server 'Server B'. So the goal is to migrate Mingle data from Server A to Server B.
Before we proceed further, it is important to understand where Mingle stores its data.
1. Mingle Database stores all the Mingle project related data ( for example, all cards, properties, transitions, user profile and preferences...etc).
2. Mingle Data and Config directories, refer : http://support.thoughtworks.com/entries/23550246-Mingle-Data-And-Config-directories
Actual migration would involve the following steps:
1. Stop Mingle on Server A and back up the Mingle Data and Config directories
2. To backup database, please refer : http://support.thoughtworks.com/entries/23532212-Backup-and-Restore-Postgres-database
3. Copy over the Mingle Data and Config directories from Server A to Server B. Please note that all the configuration files will be pointing to Server A, and you will have to manually check and edit the configuration files to reflect the changes.
For example, the parameter '-Dmingle.siteURL' in the mingle.properties file will be pointing to Server A.
4. Restore database on Server B, refer : http://support.thoughtworks.com/entries/23532212-Backup-and-Restore-Postgres-database
Please make sure that the database.yml is updated with the correct values.
5. Install Mingle on Server B and point Mingle to the Mingle Data and Config directories copied over from Server A. Please refer to the installation steps provided at : http://www.thoughtworks-studios.com/docs/mingle/13.2/help/installing_mingle.html
After the migration, you will be able to login to Mingle using the same username and password as before.