Using Microsoft Excel With Mingle
We are often asked about ways to query and update Mingle directly from Microsoft Excel. To that end we have created a simple macro that works with Excel 2003, 2007 and 2010. This post describes how to use that macro.
You are welcome to use this macro as-is or make modifications. If you make changes we request that you share them with the community so that we all may benefit. We can use this thread to discuss the integration of Excel and Mingle and to share ideas.
Our macro uses two worksheets. The Query worksheet contains all of the descriptors of a Mingle request including:
- The host URL
- project name
- list of fields and properties in the request
Clicking the Send Request button sends the requst to Mingle. Results are placed on the Results worksheet. The first time you click Send Request you are asked for your authentication credentials. Each subsequent request reuses those credentials. If you want to change the credentials click Reset Username Password. Credentials are not saved when you close Excel.
You make changes to data on the Results page and save changes back to Mingle using the Save button on that page. To save changes simply select all rows with data to be saved and click Save.
- You must list the field/properties in a column range beginning in cell A4 as shown in Figure 1.
- You cannot specify selection criteria in this version of the macro.
- Error handling is minimal. Except in basic cases the macro simply returns errors as passed back from the server.
- The macro assumes the Query worksheet is Sheet1 and Results is Sheet2.
Examples of what it's good for
Querying and updating card data in Mingle using Microsoft Excel 2003, 2007 and 2010.
Please sign in to leave a comment.